- Canada Bread Company, Limited has made the difficult decision to lock out the Bakery, Confectionary, Tobacco, Workers and Grain Millers (BCTGM) Local 468 which represents associates who work in our Langley bakery, effective 12:00 am Saturday, April 1, 2017.
- Canada Bread has met with the BCTGM Local 468 which represents associates who work in our Langley bakery for 11 days during the past three months to negotiate the renewal of their collective agreement.
- Progress has been made on certain issues, but we are very disappointed that talks with the Union have stalled on matters of critical importance to the long-term viability of the bakery.
- Canada Bread is confident that its negotiating team has made every effort to avoid a labour dispute and this is not a decision we are making lightly. We know it will have an impact on our associates, their families and the local community.
- Canada Bread has made provisions to ensure we have bread available for our customers and consumers. A robust contingency supply plan has been developed which includes sourcing products from our three other bakeries in Western Canada and operating the Langley bakery with salaried associates.
- The Langley bakery employs 200 associates, 160 of whom are in the bargaining unit represented by BCTGM Local 468.
- People are at the centre of everything we do. The products we bake and distribute end up on dinner tables and in lunch boxes across Canada. The jobs we create help communities thrive and enable men and women to support their families.
- Canada Bread values our associates and the work that they do. That is why we provide a compensation and benefit package that we believe is at or above market in the City of Langley for our industry.
- Canada Bread is invested in Canada. Canada Bread employs more than 4,200 associates in Canada and bakes bread at 18 manufacturing locations across the country.
- Canada Bread is committed to growing our company in Canada. Since 2014, Grupo Bimbo has invested in Canada through job creation, facility expansions and strategic acquisitions including two bakeries in Western Canada, Vachon Bakeries and Stonemill Bakehouse.
- Since Canada Bread joined Grupo Bimbo, the company has not moved one single sales, manufacturing or distribution job outside of Canada and have no plans to move jobs to Mexico.
- Canada Bread Company, Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Grupo Bimbo since May 2014, is a leading producer and distributor of packaged fresh bread and bakery products with brands such as Dempster’s®, Villaggio®, POM®, Bon Matin®, Ben’s®, McGavins® and Vachon®.
For more information: Sylvia Sicuso, Canada Bread, 416-626-4316.
Media Hotline: (416) 626-4316
Monday to Friday between
9 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST.